This was originally known as 'WHEATSBOROUGH" , after Mr. Wheat who owned the greater portion of the land. The name was afterward changed at the request of some of the inhabitant's.
The surface is level, about one-half being prairie, while the northern portion was covered with scrubby timber, the soil of the southern half is black muck, with a sprinkling of sand: while the northern portion has a limestone soil.
The Indians of this township were mostly members of the Seneca Tribe, and in many respects differed from the Wyandot's and neighboring tribes These were one of the nations which was included in the Iroquois confederacy, and noted like them for the wisdom and genuine simplicity of character which has ever given them a place history. The Seneca Red Jacket Cayuga Logan, and the Oneida Shenandoah are proof of the eloquence that distinguished them, while the fact that matrons were represented in their public councils and exercised a veto influence in question of peace and war, prove their advance cultivation in all that make mean and nations great .
Groton Township is number five range twenty-four and is bounded on the North by Maragaretta , south by Lyme in Huron County east by Oxford and west by the townships of York and Townsend in Sandusky County. The township was not organized until June 2, 1834, when election was held at the house of William McCord and the following officers were chosen.
Trustees: Nathanial Chapman, Bishop Stebbins, Nathan Strong
Clerk: Hiram Deyo
Treasurer: Stephen Crippen
Justice of the Peace: Stephen Crippen
Constable: Joshua Lace
Fence Viewer: George Cook, Orange Potter, Elaphall Toppen
Poor-Masters: James Bemis and James Morecraft
The first settlement was made on Pipe Creek by Jonathan Sprague, Squire Richey and others in 1809. In 1811 Captain Seth Harrington for many years was one of the most prominent men of this township, moved in from Conneaut , Ohio with his family; he was originally from Rhode Island. Among other early settlers were Hiram Blackman, George Furguson, Alixis Jackson, William Jones and Phineas Durham.
The first house was built by Seth Harrington in 1817; the first child born in the township was Ann Furugson, daughter of George Furguson; the first death was of a man named Standish Wood.
The post office was at Cleveland , and all mails for the Firelands were received here until a route was established between Cleveland and Detroit, which was to pass through Groton and vicinity. John Paxton carried the mail in 1814. The post office was not established until 1854, previous to which time the inhabitants of Groton received their mail in Bloomingville. The postmaster at that time was Methodist Episcopal minister named Rev. Zar Patch; the office was located in the center of the township.
The first Magistrate was elected in 1816
The first school was taught by Elijah Fleming in 1818